Friday afternoon coffee reads
Here is a roundup of the best reads from the week. These may not be new to the internet or you, but they were of fresh interest to me.
- Rent control needs retirement, not a comeback.
- Quincy Jones on Michael Jackson, his relationship with the Trumps, and the problem with modern pop.
- The life of Otha Porter Martin, a young miner photographed by Lewis Wickes Hine. There is a great hi-definition image of young Martin on Shorpy.
- The real Burning Man: Driving converted delivery trucks, Roadtreks, vintage RVs, “skoolies” and the odd Prius, a few thousand gather in defiance of consumerist society.
- From 2012: The period for making B.F.F.’s, the way you did in your teens or early 20s, is pretty much over.